Today I’m shining a spotlight on my friend and dear cousin, Courtney Weller — hair stylist extraordinaire and as of June 19th, owner of Purnama Style Lounge in the beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia.
I’m so proud of Courtney for opening such an original salon dedicated to enhancing inner beauty by worldly inspiration. The salon is a Davines concept salon — a sustainable beauty line using parts of the plants ordinarily thrown away like tomato seeds and celery leaves.
The salon is not only chalk-full of passionate talent and environmental enthusiasts, but its got an unforgettable Balinese vibe. When you enter the salon, you’re embraced with their signature scent of the Frangipani flower (think: island zen-meets-high end spa). Which makes sense. Courtney explains that Purnama is a combination of “modern, calming zen, with all the small touches of love sprinkled through out the entire salon”. When you enter Arches to India — their shampoo area — you’ll feel a sense of peace and calmness surrounded with beautiful silks and the fresh scents of their Davines Line.
Even their client bathroom is Mexico-inspired, bringing fun and brightness to the salon.
Courtney’s entrepreneurial spirit doesn’t end with the salon, either. This Okanagan beauty also designed a beautiful sustainable jewelry line hand made in Indonesia made from recycled metals, gems and stones from around the world. Each piece has a variety of healing properties, with each stone offering a different healing property. For example, did you know lapis lazuli increases physic powers?
And it’s obvious Courtney’s been wearing a lot of it. She has a handful of predictions for hair trends in 2016:
- Even though healthy hair isn’t necessarily a trend, there are a lot of damaged locks from all these crazy colours from 2015. Give your hair some love with an Olaplex treatment and make sure you use Step 3 — It is a must!
- Long textured bob with natural sun kissed tones aka Lob (worst word ever)
- Instyler 1 1/4″ – our most loved tool ever. The Instyler is designed to rotate while curling your mane to give you a perfectly polished soft curl.
- For colour trends — softness is in, so less extreme ombres and more baby lights and tone on tone, instead. Get to love “sombre“.
- Natural beauty will always be in – think beach waves and sun kissed looks.
- Lots of structured, short bobs are coming back. Think Coco Chanel.
- Crazy colours are on their way out, but may stick around for another year — greys and soft pastels are so beautiful and will be in for a while yet.
- Heading somewhere warm? I love wrapping my top knot with my sarong on a pool day — it’s a fun way to spice it up and be a little fashion forward. Polish the look with a kimono from Gypsy Soul Designs, and you’re golden.
Courtney has been a top stylist since 2005 and expresses her love for the industry by mastering her skills at the finest hair academies, world wide. Vidal Sassoon in Toronto & Santa Monica, Suki’s in Vancouver and Toni and Guy in London are among the most coveted courses she’s taken to stay on top of the world’s cutting edge styles and trends. Courtney prides herself on her worldly travels, and hopes to share a little taste of her experiences with every client that steps into Purnama.